Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Kick Her When She's Down

I thought about not answering the phone when I saw the number come up on Caller ID. I didn’t want to talk to my mom. But I thought it could be my husband, calling to make sure I was okay. He was still out there at my parents’ house, with our daughter, and I know he was worried about me.

He had reason to be worried about me. I was clinically depressed, had been fighting this depression unsuccessfully for 5 months. I was supposed to be back in Tennessee with our daughter, while he came back home to work, but then my meds stopped working again, and I began to crash.

Sending me back early, even though it meant I would be at home alone, seemed safer. In the best of situations, with much to distract us and all my wits around me, spending a week with my mother is a challenge. Spending a week with her when I was spiraling back down into the pit of a horrendous depression, out in the middle of nowhere where they lived, was probably more than I could handle.

So he put me on the plane, and stayed there so our daughter could have some time with her grandparents. And I wouldn’t totally be alone; I had friends who would check on me, and I made an appointment with both the therapist and the psychiatrist. But I knew he was worried.

I answered the phone. It wasn’t my husband; in fact, he and my daughter were out of the house, off playing miniature golf. It was my mother. She wanted to talk about my depression.

She didn’t understand. Why was I depressed? What had happened? “You’re a strong person, you’re not like Granny.” Granny, her mother-in-law, had twice been committed for depression. “You’re too strong to be depressed. It doesn’t make any sense.” She started getting angry. She demanded an explanation, but I didn’t have any to give her. Soon, it became clear to me what was really behind this harsh interrogation: she was afraid that I blamed her for my depression. Her best defense had always been a strong offense, so in her fear, she attacked.

I was devastated. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry, and I did as soon as I got off the phone. All the tears that had been dammed up inside me for the last few months came gushing out. I cried for all the times she had yelled at me, for all the times I had felt not enough, yet too much at the same time. I cried for letting her do it to me again.

This attack hurt more than the others. I was already wounded, and she kicked me when I was down. This wasn’t about some offense I had committed. I hadn’t gotten depressed to hurt her or embarrass her. I was suffering from an illness; that it was a mental illness didn’t make it my fault.

If this attack wasn’t really about me being a bad daughter, then maybe the others weren’t, either.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blue said...

*shakes head*

Hi mom. Cold comfort, I'm sure--but I know all about this. In a sense I'm lucky--my mum, dear though she is--has absolutely no time for anyone who's unwell. So that spares me from all this crap.
Significant others however, can only relate insofar as it may be cause and effect to them.

Anyway.
You take great care.
xoxoxo

11:00 AM  
Blogger WritingMom said...

Thanks, blue.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're very welcome.
*winks madly*
;)

Blue

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home